Is DMSO the #1 Sports Performance Enhancer with safety concerns: Separating Fact from Fiction
In the world of sports, athletes are always looking for ways to improve their performance and gain a competitive edge. One substance that has been gaining popularity in recent years is dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). But what is DMSO, and does it really work as a performance enhancer? In this article, we will separate fact from fiction and take a closer look at DMSO as a sports performance enhancer.
What is DMSO?
Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is a colourless liquid that is used as an industrial solvent and as a medical treatment for various conditions, including arthritis and bladder inflammation. It is also used as a vehicle for delivering medications through the skin. DMSO is derived from lignin, a natural substance found in trees.
How Does DMSO Work as a Performance Enhancer?
The purported benefits of DMSO as a sports performance enhancer stem from its ability to penetrate the skin and cell membranes, carrying other substances along with it. DMSO has a high affinity for water, which allows it to dissolve other compounds and deliver them directly to the bloodstream. In theory, this means that DMSO could be used to enhance the delivery of certain substances, such as nutrients, oxygen, or medications, to the muscles, potentially improving performance.
What Are the Alleged Benefits of Using DMSO as a Sports Performance Enhancer?
There are several claimed benefits of using DMSO as a sports performance enhancer, including:
- Reduced muscle soreness: DMSO is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties, which could help reduce muscle soreness and speed up recovery after exercise.
- Increased blood flow: Because DMSO can carry substances through the skin and cell membranes, it is believed that it could improve blood flow to the muscles, leading to better oxygen and nutrient delivery.
- Improved flexibility: DMSO is also said to have a relaxing effect on muscles, which could lead to improved flexibility and range of motion.
- However, it is important to note that these benefits are largely based on anecdotal evidence, and there is limited scientific research to support these claims.What Are the Safety Concerns of Using DMSO as a Sports Performance Enhancer?While DMSO is generally considered safe when used under medical supervision, there are some potential safety concerns associated with using it as a sports performance enhancer. These include:
- Skin irritation: DMSO can cause skin irritation, especially if used in high concentrations or for prolonged periods.
- Odor: DMSO has a strong, garlic-like odor that can be unpleasant.
- Interactions with other substances: Because DMSO can carry other substances through the skin, there is a risk of interactions with medications or other substances, which could be potentially harmful.
- Risk of contamination: DMSO is often sold in industrial-grade formulations, which may contain impurities that could be harmful if ingested.
- Lack of regulation: DMSO is not regulated by the FDA for use as a sports performance enhancer, which means that there is no guarantee of quality or safety.
While there are some potential benefits to using DMSO as a sports performance enhancer, these are largely based on anecdotal evidence, and there is limited scientific research to support these claims. Furthermore, there are some safety concerns associated with using DMSO, including skin irritation, interactions with other substances, and the risk of contamination. As with any supplement or performance-enhancing substance, it is important to consult with a medical professional before using DMSO and to carefully evaluate the potential benefits and risks. Athletes should also be aware that the use of DMSO as a sports performance enhancer is not regulated by the FDA, and there is no guarantee of quality or safety.
In conclusion, while the use of DMSO as a sports performance enhancer may seem appealing to some athletes, the benefits are largely based on anecdotal evidence, and there are potential safety concerns that should be taken into consideration. As with any performance-enhancing substance, athletes should prioritize their health and safety and consult with a medical professional before using DMSO or any other supplement. Additionally, it is important to focus on proper training, nutrition, and recovery strategies as the most effective and safe ways to improve athletic performance.
Get your DMSO HERE